Steam Path Problems

Hello,

I’m not very familiar with C/C++, so please excuse any possible misunderstandings on my side.

I just compiled the ioquake3 rep on Win 10 and I hope I did so without any mistakes.

After running ioq3ded.x86_64.exe I get this error:

ioq3 1.36 win_mingw64-x86_64 Jan 20 2024
SSE instruction set enabled
----- FS_Startup -----
We are looking in the current search path:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Quake3\baseq3
c:\Users\xxx\source\repos\ioq3\build\release-mingw64-x86_64\baseq3
c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3
C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\Quake 3\EN\baseq3

----------------------
0 files in pk3 files

And a pop-up saying:

"pak0.pk3 is missing" Please copy it from your legitimate Q3 CDROM. Point Release files are missing. Please re-install the 1.32 point release. Also check that your ioq3 executable is in the correct place and that every file in the "baseq3" directory is present and readable."

As I understand it, is FS_Startup looking for those files, but the 3rd path "c:/program files (x86)/steam\SteamApps\common\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3" is wrong and broken.

#My Settings:

"Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam" SteamPath = "c:/program files (x86)/steam"

But the Quake 3 Arena InstallPath is
"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 2200" - InstallLocation = "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake 3 Arena"

I have moved some of my steam games to a different drive and I believe the FS_Startup can’t deal with it.
So if I’m right, that the game is looking the pk3 files and can’t find them, because the paths are broken, then I would suggest to let it look in the InstallLocation of the Steam App too, because then it should find the missing files there.

Found some code in "..\ioq3\code\sys\sys_win32.c" - line 144 "Sys_SteamPath"

fyi: I just copied the files manually and it worked.

1 Like