Flexible HUD Mod for ioq3

Aspect correct widescreen HUD on q3dm11.

A ioquake3 baseq3 mod with aspect correct widescreen HUD support and HUD scaling options.

Download: https://clover.moe/flexible-hud-for-ioq3/

I made it in 2013 to allow specific behavior requested by @trodas on the old ioquake3 forum. It reuses the widescreen support from Spearmint Quake 3. I’ve linked to the release 2 version (ztm-flexable-hud-r2.pk3) directly in a few post on here. I’ve edit the posts to point to my website so the newest version can be found.

7 Likes

Personally i think this is the most important and impressive work to ioquake3! Thank you so much zturtleman!

Your work should also be available in the ioquake3 download or extras section as a mod or patch, or even better, applied to the ioquake3 source code , so every player can profit from your work (there are still people who can not or do not want to use patches or mods).

Anyways, these are just some thoughts, you did a great job! :+1:

2 Likes

I also think this should be supplied by ioquake3 by default, however, ioquake3 loads the original Q3 VM files rather than the native libraries compiled by ioquake3. There’s already a few differences between these; for example, ioquake3’s libraries (which can also be compiled as QVM files) support cg_drawGun 2/3 for left/center-aligned weapon display.

Hi! Can you make a version for Team Arena?

Yes, I’ll have to backport some code from Spearmint Quake 3. No schedule for when I’ll complete it at the moment.

Thanks! Spearmint looks interesting.

no longer working with latest ioquake3

It should still work. Check that vm_cgame cvar is 2, which vm/cgame.qvm console command reports the ztm-flexible-hud pk3, and set cg_stretch cvar to 0 (and optionally other cvars listed on flexible hud web page).

Flexible HUD mod release 4 introduces support for Quake III: Team Arena and updates to latest ioquake3 source code.

2 Likes

Thanks, working great now! :smiley:

Will there be support for this mod for unfreeze or freeztag?

EDIT:
After several searches between different “freeze” mod I ended up finding a “relatively” compatible mod, for those interested here is a download link: http://www.clan333.com/downloads.asp?id=21

I don’t plan to support mods. It may work with server-side only mods like instagib.

1 Like

how did you get an entirely different hud? i really want the ability to run custom huds in quake 3 without having to run a game mod. is that what you’ve accomplished? i’ve grinded away for hours trying to figure out how to at least just simply scale down the stats.
i tried it with both of these clients Downloads - IoQuake III Arena 4K mod for Quake III Arena - Mod DB
dropped the pk3 in baseq3, ran the game, and tried entering the commands in console both in and out of a map and the variables just aren’t there. everything else you were saying is in check.

Quake 3: Team Arena has the ability to create custom HUDs using text files. Extract ui/hud.txt and referenced ui/*.menu files from missionpack/pak0.pk3 to missionpack/ui folder and rename them, update names in your copy of ui/hud.txt and set cg_hudFiles cvar to your copy of ui/hud.txt. Then edit the extract .menu files for your changes. You can use vid_restart command to reload the HUD while the game is running, so you can quickly edit and reload the HUD. See achieved rfactory.org tutorials for more information on Team Arena scripted HUD.

For Quake 3 you have to change the code in code/cgame/cg_draw.c and then compile it to a QVM to change the HUD. (This is the same in vanilla and Flexible HUD mod.)

I don’t know about IoQuake III 4K mod but it says it includes my Spearmint engine. Spearmint doesn’t have all cvars as Flexible HUD mod (which was a one off mod to fulfill someones specific requests) and Spearmint ignores Q3 mod QVMs (as it doesn’t support them) so installing Flexible HUD would have no affect. So that may be why it doesn’t work but I didn’t look at the download.

I tested this patch and it is incompatible with the latest version of ioquake3. If the author wishes to update his patch, let me know about it. please. I’m ready to test the new patch. there are flaws in the old patch…

The patch is very good and necessary, but it needs to be updated to use new modern versions of the ioquake3

(Also responding to some additional messages from Discord.)

Flexible HUD is still compatible with latest ioquake3. If “vm” directory exists in ioquake3’s baseq3 and missionpack rename it to “vm-ioq3”, otherwise it will override the mod files in the flexhud pk3. Restore vm_ui, vm_cgame, vm_game cvars to 2 (qvms, the default). (The HUD itself is in vm/cgame.qvm.) It should work after that. The dlls don’t matter.

Flexible HUD mod only works with baseq3 and team arena. The HUD changes must be applied to source code of the mod. (I don’t want to work on other mods and popular mods like OSP don’t have source code available.) The server must have sv_pure 0 to allow custom vm/cgame.qvm. Flexible HUD mod cannot be used with like half of the public servers as most are using a mod and/or sv_pure 1.

ZTM’s Flexible HUD mod is the solution no one wants.

• It should be done in ioquake3 engine so it works with all mods, regardless of sv_pure, and no confusing QVM load order. I haven’t tested but I think this is good solution (centered 4:3 HUD), https://github.com/Daggolin/tulip-voyager/commit/58689b3.

• Alternatively if you don’t care about Quake 3 mods or servers there is Spearmint which offers the same “true widescreen HUD” support as flexhud. Compared to flexhud it’s easier to set up and you can play widescreen on all (two) Spearmint Quake 3 game servers. So yes, this is the other solution no one wants but at least compatibility is straight forward (no Q3 mods or servers) and it has other benefits.

1 Like

I was testing your Spearmint mod. You have a very large font in the HUD and I have not found a solution to reduce it. Very good work… we can happily go through the whole singleplayer with him

Speaking of your Hud Mod. It’s nice to be able to customize the interface. but for some reason, not all of it. for example,we cannot reduce the message that a player has fragged another player. I made the interface small, but when I kill a bot, in the center I see a message with large font about the death of the bot
This is the scaled down Hud in the OSP mod by me. Very comfortable and enjoyable. But I can’t do that in ioquake3 or Spearmint