Sandy Cheeks Player Model for Quake 3 Arena

Hello everybody, I am new to the forums, but I have been playing Quake III Arena since
2018. During that time, I have noticed an old custom player model based off of Spongebob Squarepants, so I figured that people may want to play as one of the other famous characters from the show, Sandy Cheeks.

The model comes with over twenty different FFA skins (where all I change are the boots), and high-quality player sound effects.

Please feel free to let me know if there are any technical problems, issues with skins, or other flaws you may find with this model. :slightly_smiling_face:

Download link from my Google Drive:

Sandy Cheeks Player Model Download

Hi, I know it’s been some time since this post was made, but since the drive link is now inactive, I found your Sandy model on moddb and she appears to be fully invisible, at least when playing against her as a bot. Any clue why or how one can go about troubleshooting this? Thanks.

Hi,

I am deeply sorry I couldn’t get back with a reply, I was just so busy with family and work errands - more important life stuff in general…

But it is bizarre she appears completely invisible, cause her main body appears for me, I just have to fix her helmet not showing up and add the skins. I also used to have a seperate animation for the backwards jumping where she spread her legs out, so I can revise that as well.

I believe from Googling/researching it, that using “alphaGen const percentage” should make it transparent again, and then “blendfunc blend” to make the transparent shader apply to the texture so it’s not a blue blob covering her entire head.

Okay, unfortunately even though I got it from an official resource (quake3 world), it doesn’t seem to be working with the latest version of the ioquake3 engine, it tells me specifically keywords like “alphaGen” or “blendfunc” are not recognized/known shader parameters. Do you know a good way to correct this, like the proper words ioquake3 recognizes?

I want it so that she uses the helmet, except the material is transparent rather than either fully invisible or 100% opaque with no middle ground, like her helmet was in the original cartoon (you could see it, but it was transparent glass).

Download for Fixed Version

Here is the link to the fixed version, where I updated the animation as well as got her to work/show up on my end officially, I double tested it in-game using the latest ioquake3 engine.

As mentioned in the previous post, there still is the problem of the helmet either being fully invisible or fully opaque, because the latest ioquake3 doesn’t accept the old shader commands it would seem. Does anyone have any solutions?

Here is working shaders to blend the helmet:

models/players/sandy/helmet
{
	{
		map models/players/sandy/helmet.png
		blendfunc blend
	}
}

models/players/sandy/helmet_red
{
	{
		map models/players/sandy/helmet_red.png
		blendfunc blend
	}
}

alphaGen and blendfunc are “stage” keywords that go in a sub {} section along with map to set the texture name. This allows adding multiple stages with different effects/blending. (This is the same in Quake 3 and ioquake3.)

For Quake 3 compatibility you would need to convert the png images to tga though.

Thank you so much for the help! I guess I just misunderstood the code due to lack of experience.

Okay, I uploaded the updated version, with the helmet fully working now as well as the backwards jump changed, to the Google Drive link above, replacing the older file.

:man_facepalming:

And for the record, my links to downloading a custom model for 100% free are not blatant advertisements in any way, except of my modelling skills, which is perfectly legitimate to advertise as custom model makers do not make money from it or detract from the community because of it.

I made this post cause the download link at the top got marked as spam/advertising, even though it isn’t, it’s just a link to a custom player model which is 100% acceptable in the ioquake 3 community as far as I can tell because it doesn’t break the engine in any way - it was built to support it.

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for custom player skins?

I am thinking maybe I could make one where her fur is yellow and her boots are red with gray dots and gray soles, in the style of Tails the Fox from Sonic. Does anyone have any other good ideas for fun custom skins?