Locking a client for LAN Parties/Conventions

Hi.

Yesterday I went to a convention in Italy where there was an array of PC connected in LAN running Quake 3. I was happy to see so many PCs, but when I seated on one, I noticed that people (mind this, casual people, even one which never played the game) were “lost”, and so a lot of them disconnected from the server, even made their own (using the internal menu), or playing solo thinking were playing with other people.

I was thinking: is there a way to tell the client to only connect to a single server (maybe with a command line parameter), without possibility to make a new server or start a single player game? Cherry on top would be also locking out the quit game button, but just an idea.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:
Alby87

1 Like

This is an older post but I wanted to reply still because this is a good idea. The best way would be to make a special mod with a limited UI.

Next best would be to make a launcher, something I’ve been interested in doing for a long time. It’d be good to have special versions for a LAN party to make it more streamlined.

Finally, on Windows or Linux it’d be straightforward to make batch files and shell scripts that just connect to a server as soon as you launch the game. That way, all a roving helper has to do is exit to the desktop and relaunch the batch file/shell script.

1 Like

Hi,
Sorry for the out of topic, but I’m from Italy and I’m back on Q3A after years. What convention was it?!

It was Bologna Nerd Show (in my case, last year’s).

I didn’t know this event, thanks! I would love to meet an active Q3A community in Italy.