Quake 3 on Solaris 10 (sparc)

Hi,

I’ve recently obtained an old Sun Blade 1000 and was hoping to get Quake III running on it. Found a handy guide to getting this working (http://blog.boreas.ro/2008/01/installing-quake-3-on-solaris-fixing.html) that pointed to the ioquake site to download prebuilt packages.

Of course the binary packages and wiki are temporarily unavailable as explained on the site so I’m at a bit of a loss how to start and have questions.

Does the current code base still build for Solaris 10 running on Ultrasparc IIIcu hardware? Are prebuilt packages still produced for this? Or can an older versions still be downloaded? If it needs building what build tools do I need to install?

Some more hardware details:
CPU: 2 x 1.2Ghz Ultraspace IIIcu
RAM: 8GB
Graphics: Creator3D, Elite3D M6 or XVR-600. Got all 3 cards :slight_smile:

Would also be curious to know if there is any chance of running ioquake on Sparc hardwre under Linux, BSD or Illumos. Those run (at least to some extent) on my hardware.

Thanks,

Andy

1 Like

I honestly don’t know, wouldn’t have any Solaris machine to test. Hopefully somebody else can test.

I don’t think we’ve ever made packages for Solaris, but someone else might have. We can’t guarantee the security of using third-party packages to any degree, which isn’t to put you off of them, just to be clear. I took a brief look at that link earlier in your post and I think they’re just using the old (2009) released files for Linux, which are still available.

You can also still access the wiki through web.archive.org which has more modern build instructions.

Just a quick update where I am. I found the solaris specific binary packages on old versions of the download page using the “wayback machine” and have installed the latest version (1.34 r995).

After some poking and proding the main thing I’ve spotted not working is the sky is not being drawn. Think its leaving image data from previous frames there at the moment. Need to poke and prod it some more, a quick google suggests some other people had this issue way back and some possible settings to poke. Need to do some other real life things first.

Thanks,

Andy

1 Like

Any old package like that is going to be incredibly out of date, I would recommend compiling ioquake3 yourself.