Is there a compile tutorial?

Hi there,

I’m after the latest version of IOQ3 that is available in source on GitHub, I’m no programmer but I am tech savvy, so I’m after a tutorial on how to compile latest version(s) of IOQ3 - including third party applications and environments that would be required.

Can anyone point me in that direction?.

Thanks.

What platform do you want to compile ioquake3 under? Windows, Mac, or Linux?

Windows (32 or 64 bit)

The best way to build on windows is through mingw and msys. Our test builds are built whenever a commit is made to the github repository. So, if you’re not looking to make changes you can use that to just play ioquake3.

Ok thanks for the two links, I’ll play around with compiling, it’s also good to have the test builds there too, it’s primarily for the server hosting benefits IOQ3 offers.

Side note to that: I’ve seen mention of the protocol change (68 > 71) and with that helps defend off the known DDoS spoof attacks, keeping it at 71 and not using the legacy protocol, how effective are these fixes?, though I’ll still host safely with DDoS protected hosting services.

Hey I am unable to find pre-build test builds from the ioquake3 website. Is it still possible to get the latest pre-build version of ioquake3, or do we have to build them ourselves using mingw etc.?

Please download a build from this page: Download ioquake3 – ioquake3

Thanks. Is the download from that page where it says “ioquake3 test build for: Windows” the latest versioin?

The reason Im asking is because I downloaded that test build before an I wasn’t able to get HRTF working via openAL. So I thought maybe this is an old build or something.

This is the latest version available pre-built.

Do you also have a 32 bit build? So far it’s only 64 bit… I hope the 32bit windows version will also go online :slight_smile:

Older 32bit versions of windows are unsupported by Microsoft and not patched against security vulnerabilities at this point, I would not recommend using one though we may have a 32 build in the future.

Great! There are still people using 32bit drivers on modern OS’es, like Creative EAX only works on 32 bit
I finally managed to compile the 32bit build from git but it’s not winXP compatile. Runs great in win10 with hardware EAX. I still believe in putting build online svaes a lot of electricity for everybody having to compile it again and saves more humans more work, and keeps windows users easier up to date (when cared about security) but hey, thats an opinion.