Ioquake3 not loading sounds

Hey there,

I am running ioquake3-1.36 on Mac OS 10.14.6 and I am having issues in ambient sounds in the maps not buffering correctly thus loading the hitsound when it cannot find the sound for whatever reason.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

I’ve even unzipped the .pk3s and found the sounds that are unable to buffer.

Thanks for your time!

Hey! Took forever to find someone else with this issue. I’m hoping you’ve fixed it because I’m running into the same thing on 10.4.11 on PPC. Quite older hardware and OS than yours, but same ioQuake3 build. Did you ever get around it? It seems totally random - like sometimes teleporters will adopt the “bonk bonk bonk bonk” sound, sometimes it’s torches that get it, sometimes it’s bounce stations or launchers. Totally strange. I think this was the last build made for my system, so I’m hoping there’s an answer to this. Would be a shame because I’m running it on a 1.42Ghz eMac with a Radeon 9600 and it FLIES and looks amazing on the CRT at 89Hz.

1 Like

I ran into this issue after compiling 32-bit IOQuake3. Some sound cvars were missing as well, like s_show. Try setting s_useopenAL to “0” and then restart the sound system and see if it fixes it. I’m not running into this with 64-bit IOQuake3 so far, only the 32-bit build running on 64-bit Windows.

2 Likes