Installing Team Arena in Mac OSX Yosemite

Hi Folks,

After a lot of mucking around, I finally got Q3A working in OS X (I needed to use the test build, add the patch data, AND create an autoexec.cfg file to get the graphics working).

But I can’t get Team Arena to work. I copied the pak0.pk3 from the missionpack folder of my Steam installation (got it using a PC) to the missionpack folder of ioquake3.

But when I launch ioquake3, all I get is ‘vanilla’ Q3A. Any ideas?

Hmm, I don’t have OS X experience, and I don’t know what you have already tried, but maybe try this:

Create a shortcut to ioquake3 exe and add +set fs_game missionpack to ioquake3 path, e.g.: “C:\Ioquake3\ioquake3.exe” +set fs_game missionpack

If this doesn’t work, bring down the console and try to launch Team Arena via command: \game_restart missionpack
This way you can see if folders are correct etc.

Thanks Taku, you sent me in the right direction. I couldn’t add +set fs_game missionpack to the ioquake3 patch, because on a mac it isn’t an “exe” file, it’s an “app” (which can’t be modified the same way “exe” files can).

However, I did the \game_restart missionpack. This didn’t actually work by itself, but it created a missionpack folder in Library/Application Support/Quake 3 (Mac users will know about Application Support). I was then able to transfer all the pak files from my steam installation into this newly-created folder, and now Team Arena appears when I launch ioquake3.

I guess it was always going to be an ordeal to get a 16-year-old game working on the wrong operating system :slight_smile: but it’s worth it: no better shooter has been made since Q3A.

Hey, I’ve been running into the same issue of not being able to play on Yosemite, except I’m struggling to even get Q3A running properly. How did you create the autoexec.cfg files, and how did you properly install the patch data?

I can’t figure out how to bypass the black screen with the test build. I can hear sounds and I know the game itself is working, but no graphics to be seen.

My apologies for the noob-ish questions, I suppose. I’m very new to all of this. Thank you in advance!

Hi Toxic,

Here is literally everything I know about getting Q3A to work in Yosemite:

1. Download using Steam on a PC.

2. Launch Q3A through steam and record the CD key.

3. Copy the Q3A files (particularly pak0.pk3 in baseq3 the pak0.pk3 in missionpack) from the Program Files\Steam etc. folder of the PC.

4. On the Mac, download the ioquake3 test build for OS X (the stable build won’t work): http://ioquake3.org/get-it/test-builds/

5. Also download the ioquake3 “patch data” and use the files it contains to replace the corresponding files in the ioquake3 app (why the app doesn’t come with these files by default is beyond me, but it might have something to do with the fact that ioquake3 is used for a lot of other things besides Q3A: http://ioquake3.org/extras/patch-data/

6. Copy the pak0.pk3 files from the PC steam installation into the baseq3 and missionpack folders (respectively) in the ioquake3 app.

7. Launch ioquake3 (by right-clicking the app and left-clicking ‘open’. The game will not work properly at this stage, but you should be able to put the CD key in (this can be done later if necessary). This may also be a good time to modify graphics settings (apart from resolution).

8. In ioquake3, activate the terminal (~ key) and input the following command: "\game_restart missionpack” (without quotation marks). These two steps (launching the app and inputting that command) should create necessary folders in Library/Application Support/Quake 3.

9. In Library/Application Support/Quake 3/baseq3 create a file called autoexec.cfg (I created it using TextEdit, and then I had to change its extension from “.rtf” to “.cfg” using “Get Info” (right click). This autoexec.cfg file should contain the following lines of text (this file is also attached to this note):

seta r_customheight “800”
seta r_customwidth “1200”
seta r_fullscreen “1”
seta r_mode “-1”
seta cg_fov “115”
seta com_maxfps “60”
seta r_overBrightBits “0”
seta r_ignorehwgamma “1”

Now copy all the files from the PC installation’s missionpack folder to the new missionpack folder in Library/Application Support/Quake 3. Now Team Arena should be visible in the Q3A menu (and playable).

The appropriate method right now is to start from a non-test build, which is a .dmg that includes the necessary folder structure and patch files. Please do not stuff extra pk3 files into the .app itself.

What will replace all of this, except getting quake 3 via Steam, is the launcher, which will keep both ioquake3 and itself up-to-date and allow you to select good choices for your resolution before you launch the game.