Audio Problem in Bid For Power

Hi, i new here. Today i downloaded the ioquake3 engine to play the old bid for power dbz Game. But it have an audio problem. When am playing some audio effects sound only when i am in the middle of the map. Like a distance problem. I tried with openal and SDL and nothing work.

With Quake3E and a old versión 2009 of ioquake3 works great but with the new versión not work correctly

I don’t have audio issue about sound effects.

The menu music is still an odd issue. I tried to load music menu too, I was checking the game, the menu music is set RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.menu by default, this file is a MP3 format if you rename the extension. Not sure why in the menu, the console outputs the same warning and I can’t heard the music:

WARNING: Failed to open sound music/RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.menu!
WARNING: Couldn't open music file music/RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.menu

I set the pk3 file in the base game dir, renamed to zzz-music.pk3 with a music/RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.menu saved, even I tried with .ogg and .mp3 formats.

That has been tested on Quake3e and ioQuake3.

The original Quake 3 only supports wav audio files and assumes it’s wav regardless of file extension.

ioquake3 supports wav, ogg vorbis, and opus. Loading audio files is based on the file extension so .menu is not allowed for any format. I suppose for compatibility it would be possible to default to try to load unknown extensions as wav.

Though if the file actually only contains MP3 data, there is no way to play it in Quake 3.

That’s an odd case, I played the old Quake 3 1.32 vanilla to play that mod (it’s “ebfp2” English Bid For Power 2, a modpack with various characters and maps, that installs fully to Program Files (x86)). I disassembled the QVMs, I checked there’s a .menu file and something targetting to a .mp3 file, this mod has a cvar called cg_musicUnpacked [0/1]. If set to 0, a button with “UNPACK MUSIC?” appears in the main menu, if you press it, the cvar is set to 1 and plays the music and after accepting the unpack, the button disappears. idk how can do that, the mod uses some special feature to play music using a .menu file, also targetting a MP3 format, that looks unique.

In ioquake3, I converted that file to OGG and I compressed to pk3 again and I used that command:

music music/RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.ogg music/RogerSullivan-touch_of_the_sun.ogg

The music plays and works as should. But that’s the manual way. The automatic way is still a mystery.

I wonder if “unpack music” converts mp3 in pk3 to unzipped wav with the same filename.

I discovered what it is.

Read carefully:
mp3 support - 11/30/2001 by Yrgol
I added Tim “Timbo” Angus’ mp3 to wav converter into bfp. It can be found at http://tremulous.sourceforge.net/junk/cg_mp3decoder/
This will allow us to include more music in the download, since each music file will have a smaller filesize.
This will not allow you to play your own mp3’s. It is not an mp3 player, it is an in-game utility to convert mp3’s into a q3-playable format.

Reference: Official Bid For Power Website - Developer Journals - Yrgol's Developer Journal

What that does is using a .mp3 file inside music/ and converting into .menu extension (it could be .wav too). It creates a folder and the resulting converted file.

This converter feature works on Quake3e and Quake 3 1.32 - 1.32c vanilla version, but not on ioquake3 (idk why).

EDIT: On ioquake3, in Windows, only works if the mp3 file is in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Quake3\modfolder\music\