Can't Connect to Master Server

I’m trying to run a dedicated server. I’ve got it working in Quake Live but when I try to load a map in ioquake3 I get “Error resolving master.ioquake3.org: No such host is known.” I can ping it from the command prompt so it can connect okay.

Hi Eugene,

It should resolve to 192.241.238.177 (currently, best to use the name)

Could you tell us anything about the environment for the server? Are you using our scripts and guide to run it?

I read through the Sys Admin page but couldn’t find anything. I just copied server.cfg and access.txt from my vanilla Quake 3 installation (Steam) and added this to autoexec.cfg:

//Quake 3 Arena Master Servers
//www.quakeservers.net
set sv_master1 "master.ioquake3.org"
set sv_master2 "master0.excessiveplus.net:27950"
set sv_master3 "master.ioquake3.org:27950"
set sv_master4 "master.maverickservers.com:27950"
set sv_master5 "dpmaster.deathmask.net:27950"
set sv_master6 "dctalk.no-ip.info:27950"
set sv_master7 "master3.idsoftware.com:27950"

typically no extra configuration should be needed for communicating with the directory server when running a recent build (past few years) of ioquake3. There may be something specific to the environment the game server is running on, OS or network, that could be interfering with name resolution. Could also be due to a change we made a few months ago to our DNS setup and domain name registration, though I still see traffic to the directory server we don’t yet have a method of monitoring numbers of servers over time and graphing that data to track the health of the directory server.