Connect to private game?

Apologies if this is super obvious, but lets say I want to play a game with my brother and some bots. (non-LAN). I create a game, give it a hostname, and choose “no” for dedicated. Once I start the game, what info do I need to provide my brother for him to join? My public IP? Something else? Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

You need to setup port forwarding in your router for port 27960 (UDP) to you LAN IP address. Then people can connect to your server using your public IP address.

1 Like

also, your brother can connect by bringing down the console (shift+escape or the key to the left of 1 on the keyboard) and typing /connect 127.0.0.1 just replace that part with your IP address.

@zturtleman @TimeDoctor Thanks guys! Haven’t had a chance to try a game yet, but I got that port forwarded on my router. Hopefully it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

So - this is exactly what we’ve done for the last 20 years playing this game. By default, I did exactly the same thing when several in our group started playing ioquake3 on macOS Catalina. Strangely, though, a couple of nights ago I totally forgot to forward my ports. In spite of that, I could both host games and connect to others without any issues whatsoever. I’m assuming this is because my firewall settings for ioquake3-1.36 allow incoming connections?