Mac OS X El Capitan

Older versions work. Just not the latest version.

recursive error after: Couldn’t compile shader

Here what the error box looks like:

I uploaded the contents of the crashlog.txt here since it was to big to post:

http://pastebin.com/CNdGyYu0

(replaced links to scammy-looking sites with a manual upload and a pastebin -moderator)

I haven’t been able to reproduce this bug, can you tell me more about which model of Mac you’re using? Here’s an app that’ll help you figure out which one you have if you’re not sure.

It’s a 2010 Mini but it’s running OS X 10.11 El Capitan. So that may be the issue?

Yes, as El Capitan is currently a developer beta I can’t verify if it works there or not.

Hi rtz,
I’m no Apple expert, but it seems your error message is related to graphics/rendering.
This is very likely because Q3 (idtech3) has an OpenGL based rendering system, whereas newer Apple switch to Metal API. I’m in doubt OpenGL games will work (?)
http://renderingpipeline.com/2014/06/whats-the-big-deal-with-apples-metal-api/
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2014/06/04/Understanding-Apples-Metal-graphics-library-What-does-it-mean-to-indie-game-developers.aspx

Apple did not kill OpenGL. OpenGL games will work but we or SDL may need to make some changes to support the new operating system.

How can we tell on the test build page what the current version is or when a new build is uploaded?

A new build is uploaded a few minutes after each commit to the repository. Unfortunately there is no on-page notification of build date. Thanks for the feedback, I updated the page to note this.

Try and log in on this page or on the beta page that is also listed at this link:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/welcome

I could get access to the beta, but I only have one Mac that uses a small SSD. It would be a problem to run a beta OS. We may find another contributor to try that, thank you for the link.

I moved a post to a new topic: Macmini ioquake3?

Using latest Test build as of today and today’s release of OS X and still getting the same error.

Thank you for trying it again. Unfortunately, we still do not have anyone specializing in Mac OS X available who can figure out what’s going on and update ioquake3. Please keep us up to date if you find that a new version of the OS changes the error or if the error goes away.

Well I feel dumb now; but I changed:

seta cl_renderer “opengl2”

To opengl1 and the latest version now runs. I imagine had I done that from the start; it would have worked too.

Just for future reference; if I set it to opengl2; this appears in the console and it goes back to opengl1 and works and doesn’t crash out:

----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load “renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib” from
"/Applications/ioquake3/ioquake3.app/Contents/MacOS"…
"/Applications/ioquake3"…
Loading “renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib” failed
failed:
“Failed loading /Applications/ioquake3/renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib:
dlopen(/Applications/ioquake3/renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib, 6): image not
found"
Trying to load “renderer_opengl1_x86_64.dylib” from
”/Applications/ioquake3/ioquake3.app/Contents/MacOS"…

Has anything changed with recent betas? Our opengl2 renderer should work on El Cap.

Using the latest test build OpenGL 1 works but 2 still does not. Here is what is reported in the console when it’s set to 2:

----- Initializing Renderer ----

"/Applications/ioquake3/ioquake3 2.app/Contents/MacOS"…
"/Applications/ioquake3"…
Loading “renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib” failed
failed:
“Failed loading /Applications/ioquake3/renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib:
dlopen(/Applications/ioquake3/renderer_opengl2”_x86_64.dylib, 6): image not
found"
Trying to load “renderer_opengl1_x86_64.dylib” from
”/Applications/ioquake3/ioquake3 2.app/Contents/MacOS"…

Thanks for trying it again, sorry it still doesn’t work! I’ll check out the issue when it’s released later this month.

hmm, so far the latest test build of ioquake3 is working for me on el cap

It runs fine with that opengl setting at 1. If I set it to 2 in the cfg file; it exits out and reports this in the crash log:

compile log:
ERROR: 0:534: Invalid call of undeclared identifier 'textureCubeLod’
ERROR: 0:549: Use of undeclared identifier ‘cubeLightColor’

recursive error after: Couldn’t compile shader

Try setting r_cubeMapping to 0 (the default) so that textureCubeLod won’t be used.

1 Like